We strongly recommend you take the time to write a cover letter. It is the only opportunity you will have to highlight your strengths, describe your goals, and give the potential employer a glimpse of who you are as a person.
A cover letter should...
- Answer why you are seeking the specific position for which you are applying. Potential employers appreciate that you have some knowledge of the position and/or practice.
- Include your unique qualifications for that position. Keep this brief and to the point.
A cover letter may include..
- A description of your ideal practice.
- Your professional and personal goals.
- A brief description of your family.
- Awards or achievements for which you are particularly proud.
Keep your CV up to date.
Attach a photograph if you feel it is necessary. If unsure, leave it off.
Have someone else proofread your CV.
See sample cover letters under "Related Materials" at right.